, ,

Wall art #6

Wall art #6

I came across this mural on the side a building that houses a neighborhood bar. The painting on the wall on the opposite side of the building is nowhere near as nice as this one, and I haven’t photographed it. But I might. I’ve decided to use this picture because so much of the rest of this post is full about the little things in life that seem to add up to a bad day.


It started yesterday morning when I was taking my shower. I noticed that the water was not draining from the tub. Did I mention that it was 3:30 a.m.? I was up early but my mind wasn’t working properly. I just assumed that drain was plugged, so when I finished my shower I was ankle-deep in soapy water. The next part is fuzzy in my memory, but somehow as I was towelling off after my shower, I dropped my towel into the tub where the shower water sat waiting to be emptied. I was half dry, from my top down, without a dry towel. So I used my tee-shirt to finish the job. That’s was when I realized that the tub drain was in the closed position. It couldn’t drain the soapy water.

I went back into the bedroom and dressed, went downstairs for a cup of coffee, and returned to shave. I had turned the lights off in the bedroom when I had left it to dress, and now, when I flipped the light switch back on, the light bulb above my sink popped. I decided to skip shaving.

You’re probably wondering why I, a happily retired man, was up so early. It is simple. I was driving north to visit my mother while my sister, She Who Must Not Be Named, and her husband went to an appointment. It was an early morning appointment and I needed to be there no later than 6:30.

I got on the Interstate and headed north. I glanced at the dashboard clock and almost lost control of the car. The clock said that it was 6:35. Now, I realized that I hadn’t reset the clock when Daylight Savings Time last kicked in (thanks former Governor Mitch Daniels) but I still couldn’t drive that far in an hour. But, by golly, I would try. Soon I was cruising up the highway at 80 MPH. I went on that way for about 45 minutes before the rest of my brain woke up and I remembered that my destination was in the Central Time Zone, but I was still in the Eastern Time Zone, so the dashboard clock was really off by two hours from my destination. I could slow down.

I arrived at my sister’s house with plenty of time to spare. We talked for a bit; she showed me where all of my mom’s favorite snacks were located; then she and my brother-in-law left for their appointment. If you have been reading my posts, you know that Mom has been struggling with realizing what is real and what is imagined. Her new medication has been helping, but it certainly isn’t a cure-all. For a few hours she gave me a commentary on her recent life, both real and imagined. She has a number of conspiracy theories active in her mind. It took a bit of thinking on my part, but I realized that her theories were not the grand “Big Business and Big Government are out to get me” type that we see on TV and in the movies. No, my mom’s paranoid theories are all about individuals that she knows. And, for whatever reason, a large number of them involve sex. I’m not sure why that is true, but all of the romance novels that she has read over the years might have something to do with it.

So, my sister and her spouse returned from their appointment, we chatted for a while and I took my leave. I stayed off of the Interstate on the way home, sticking to county roads as much as possible, on the lookout for picture worthy barns, and other sites. That was the good part of my day…always searching for the positive.

I got home, searched unsuccessfully for the reason a string of lights on our Christmas tree wasn’t lighting. I also started putting out other decorations and wondered why I still have a couple of plastic totes full of decorations and have no place to put them. And just the thought of our annual party on Saturday night is overwhelming me.

It is the little things that wear you down.